In Ecuador, Tigrillo is traditionally eaten for breakfast, especially on the coast it is one of the favorite dishes of locals and travelers as well. As in all Latin American countries, but also in Africa and Asia, one of the main ingredients is plantains, similar to potatoes in Europe. The delicious vegetarian blend of plantains, scrambled eggs, cheese, and coriander makes the perfect meal for any time of day.
Chicharron is also typical for Ecuador – crispy fried, diced pork rind, or what we know as the crust of roast pork. So traditional food is often prepared with Chicharron. This is probably where the name Tigrillo comes from. The black-spotted ocelot is a predatory cat of the leopard species, which only occurs in Central and South America.
Just let us know when you order if you want the vegetarian version – “sin chicharron.” So there are many variations of the Ecuadorian recipe, but even the classic method is not only simple but incredibly delicious!
- 2 green plantains
- 2 spoons of butter
- 2 – 3 eggs
- 100 g grated cheese
- 30g coriander
- half an onion, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
some broth, milk or cream
Up to your taste
Chicharron (crispy pork skin)
How to prepare the Ecuadorian breakfast
1. Boil some water in a pot, chop the onions and coriander, grate the cheese and prepare the butter.
2. Peel and halve the plantains, cut them in half and place them in the boiling water.
3. After about 10 minutes, the bananas are soft enough to crush like the potatoes in mashed potatoes.
4. While the bananas are cooking, heat some oil in a pan and prepare a classic scrambled egg.
5. Then melt the butter in another pan. Add the onions, and sauté lightly. Then add the crushed banana mixture and let it heat up.
6. To make your Tigrillo creamier, add some broth or cream. Add the scrambled eggs and cheese, let it warm for a short while and refine with delicious coriander, salt, and pepper.
Spice it up
If you like, you can top the vegetarian dish with a traditional chicharron. Since chicharron might be hard to find outside of Central America, try bacon or even better: a veggie bacon alternative!
My favorite Latin American cook books
Have you eaten Ecuadorian foods before, and want to bring the recipes home?
Do you think it might be difficult to find the proper ingredients to make them authentic?
In this cookbook, you’ll find many recipes favored in Ecuador. The people use a wide range of ingredients native to its regions. Seafood is used in the coastal region, and in the mountainous areas, wonderful dishes are made with crops including native potatoes, quinoa, and corn. In their tropical areas, you’ll find many fruits used in delicious meals, including papaya.
More Ecuadorian Recipes
After planning my trip Jamaica carnival 2024, I am now ready to start prepping for St. Lucia carnival in 2024. Here is everything to know for visitors!
Portland, one of my top picks among Jamaica’s parishes, stands out for its gorgeous beaches and abundant array of mesmerizing waterfalls. What sets Portland’s waterfalls apart?
We’ve talked a lot about why El Salvador should absolutely be on your travel list, and today, we’re focusing on one of its absolute gems: the stunning beaches.