Community tourism offers a unique opportunity for travelers to experience the world through a different lens while providing economic and cultural benefits to local communities. n this article, we will delve into the concept of community tourism, exploring its major advantages and disadvantages from both the traveler and local perspectives.
What are Self-Cleaning Water Bottles?
Traveling to new and exciting destinations is always an amazing experience, but it also comes with challenges. One such challenge is ensuring access to clean drinking water. As a traveler, you are constantly on the go and may not always have access to safe drinking water. This is where UV water purifiers come in, offering a convenient and effective solution for clean drinking water. I recently switched from a filter bottle to a UV light bottle because my filter kept drying out when I was not using it. And even though I have never fallen sick in years of using the water filter, I was happy to hear that UV water purifier bottles also tackle viruses.
How do self-cleaning water bottles work?
UV (ultraviolet) water purifiers use ultraviolet light to eliminate harmful microorganisms from water. These purifiers are portable, compact, and easy to use, making them ideal for travelers. They work by exposing the water to UV rays that penetrate and destroy the DNA of bacteria, viruses, and other pathogens, rendering them harmless.
UV water Purifiers vs. Water filters
UV water purifiers and water filters are two popular methods of treating water for safe consumption while traveling. Both have their own unique features and benefits, making it important to understand the differences between the two in order to choose the best option for your travel needs.
Why you should use a water purifier when traveling
- Portable: Most UV water purifiers are designed to be compact and lightweight, making them easy to carry in your backpack or luggage. They take up minimal space and can be used on the go, making them perfect for travelers.
- No Chemicals: Unlike other water purifying methods, UV does not use any chemicals to treat the water. This means you won’t have to worry about carrying or consuming potentially harmful substances during your travels.
- Low Maintenance: UV purifiers have few moving parts and do not require frequent filter replacements like other filters. This makes them low-maintenance and cost-effective in the long run.
- Kills viruses and bacteria: UV light has been proven to be effective in killing viruses and bacteria, including E. coli, salmonella, hepatitis, and rotavirus. This makes it a reliable option for purifying water in areas with these contaminants.
- Efficiency: UV water purifiers can effectively eliminate up to 99.9% of harmful microorganisms in water, providing you with clean and safe drinking water in about 1 minute
- Helps to combat plastic pollution: By using a UV water purifier, you can reduce your reliance on single-use plastic water bottles during your travels.
- Cost efficiency: Compared to buying bottled water, a UV purifier is a more cost-effective option in the pretty short run. The most economical options start at around $40 dollars.
- Versatile: Some UV purifiers come in the form of a bottle or straw, making them incredibly versatile and easy to use. This means you can purify
- Reusable: Unlike other water purification methods that require replacement filters or cartridges, a UV purifier is reusable and can be used multiple times without losing its effectiveness.
Water Filters vs. UV Purifiers
- Convenience: UV water filter bottles are also highly convenient. They typically come with a built-in filter that does not require any additional parts or maintenance. Simply fill up your bottle with water from a tap, stream, or lake, and the UV light will do its job, making the water safe to drink in just a few minutes. Traditional filters may require additional components, such as the filter itself. I sometimes even had a filter dry out on me while traveling.
- Effectiveness: UV water purifiers and water filters effectively remove harmful bacteria and microorganisms from water. However, UV water purifiers have the added advantage of being able to eliminate viruses as well. So, if you’re traveling to a location where viruses are a concern, UV water purifiers would be the way to go.
- Cost: In terms of cost, UV water filter bottles may seem more expensive initially, but they can actually save you money in the long run. Traditional purifiers require replacement filters and parts, which can add up over time. UV water filter bottles, on the other hand, have a longer lifespan and do not require replacement filters or parts.
When are UV water purifiers ineffective?
UV water filters are ineffective against certain contaminants such as chemicals, heavy metals, and sediment. In these cases, a traditional purifier with additional filtration methods may be necessary. It’s essential to research the specific contaminants in the area you’re traveling to and choose a purification method that can effectively remove them. Basically, do not use the UV water purifier if the water is not clear or visibly dirty.
The biggest difference between filters and purifiers is that UV water filters also destroy viruses. However, water filters can also clean murky and unclear water, which a UV water purifier can not.
Self-cleaning bottles vs Filter bottles: Which one is right for me?
If you are more of an outdoors and hiking person, a water filter system is right for you! If you are more like me and stay close to cities (tap water access), most of the time, a UV water purifier is the choice for you!
The best UV water filter bottles in 2023
All the bottles below have the same core function: they destroy bacteria and viruses, but they come with different add-on small features and sizes.
Capacity: 17 or 25 oz
Charger: USB C
Color Options: Various and personalisable
Weight: depending on size and insulation
Special features: Self-cleaning every two hours
What truly stands out from the first moment is the Larq’s elegant design. Of all the bottles, The Purevis is by far the most stylish, with a sleek haptic. The Larq Purevis needs 60 seconds for one self-cleaning cycle and automatically starts a cleaning cycle every two hours. It is also the biggest bottle available on the market. This can be advantageous when you want to bring more water, but it is also hard to fit under smaller sinks.
Pros of the Laqr Purevis:
+ Design and color choices
+ produced by the market leader
+ Double insulation to keep drinks cold/warm
+automatic self-cleaning every two hours
+ USB C chargeable
+ Choice between ultra-light and insulated
Cons of the Larq Purevis:
– Small opening makes it hard to add ice cubes
Best design/value for money:
UVBRITE Beam Self-cleaning bottle
The bottle features two cleaning cycles, one lasting 90 seconds and the second one twice as long. UVbrite lasts for up to 60 cleaning cycles before needing to recharge. That means you can drink 2,400 ounces of purified water before needing to charge. Thanks to its stainless steel insulated bottle, drinks keep their temperature for up to 24 hours. The entire bottle is BPA-free.
+ I love the color choices
+ Big capacity
+ Quick recharge
– I had trouble closing the lid at the beginning
Best value for money:
Capacity: 12 or 20 oz
Charger: Magnetic charging point
Color Options: Blue, Yellow, Black, Green
Weight: depending on size
Special features: Self-cleaning every two hours
I was super excited to see that with its “GoZero UV Self-Cleaning,” Philips has launched such a stylish and economical self-cleaning bottle. The entire bottle is BPA-free. Philps Go Smart Bottle has a fairly large opening, which makes it easy to fill up. It comes with a small holder on the lid so you can easily strap it to your luggage.
Pros of Philipps GoZero:
+ Design and color choices
+ produced by an established brand
+ large opening
+ Double insulated to keep drinks cold/warm
+ Automatic self-cleaning every two hours
+ 3o days money back guarantee
+ waterproof charging port
– Charging cable can’t easily be replaced when lost or broken
What I liked about CrazyCap’s self-cleaning bottle:
+ 10-year limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects
+ Triple insulation
+ Water-proof charging port
+ Hourly self-cleaning cycle
+ Hydration reminder
+ Giveback partnership provides clean water to people in need
– Small opening makes it almost impossible to fill the bottle with Ice cubes
I have made it clear how much I love traveling to Lebanon and there are many things and destinations you can explore on your own. However, when you want to get a better understanding and see Lebanon beyond the touristic sites, Tourleb is the way to go! Since it was my...
Yunguilla Corporation is a community-owned, sustainable development project founded by the 30 indigenous Quichua families of Yunguilla in the cloud forest region of Ecuador.