Coconut rice – easy peasy
Nothing tastes more like the Caribbean than coconut rice and fresh fish. When we visited Belize coconut rice and beans were our constant companions. If you feel like bringing some exotic flavors to your rice dish, this recipe is for you! It’s super easy to prepare and will add a mild coconut flavor!
- 2 cups of rice
- 2,5 cups coconut milk
How to make your own coconut milk:
- Make your very own coconut water! It’s super tasty! All you need is a strong blender and two coconuts.
- Crack the coconuts using a hammer.
- Apply it to the midriff (between the three eyes and the pointier side).
- Drain the coconut milk into a bowl.
- Use a butter knife to remove the flesh and blend it till finely sliced.
- Add coconut water and pour the mix through a cloth and squeeze it over a bowl. And tadaa: You have produced your own coconut milk!
- We like to add some of the “leftovers” from the cloth to our rice for extra coconut flavor
Prepare the rice
- Add rice and two cups of coconut milk to a boil. Leave the lid open and apply high heat
- Turn down the heat and let the rice simmer for about 20 minutes until it’s not hard and grainy
More Caribbean recipes
JAMAICAN ACKEE & SALTFISH RECIPELevel EasyTime 35MinSERVES 2 Jamaica's national dish I was lucky enough to stumble upon my new favourite dish on my very first morning and was instantly hooked! Ackee is the national fruit of Jamaica and when coupled with saltfish...
Breadfruit 101 Breadfruit is a fruit also referred to as Artocarpus altilis. It is a specie of the Artocarpus heterophyllus family, closely relating to the mulberry and more so the jackfruit tree (very similar in appearance). Breadfruit got its name based on its...
Beans are a typical side dish all over Central and South America. A side of beans accompanies almost any meal from breakfast to dinner. As you traveled across the countries, you might have noticed that the preparation is specific to the countries.