- Breadfruit is a fruit also referred to as Artocarpus altilis. It is a specie of the Artocarpus heterophyllus family, closely relating to the mulberry and more so the jackfruit tree (very similar in appearance).
- Breadfruit got its name based on its texture experienced when roasted which was quite reminiscent of baked bread. It should only be cooked when ‘fit’ or ripe as termed in Jamaica.
- There are two main types of bread fruits found in Jamaica, the ‘Yellow Heart’ and the ‘White Heart’.
How to roast a breadfruit
1. With so many popular ways to consume and enjoy breadfruit, nothing comes close to a breadfruit being placed on the gas kitchen stove or ‘wood fire’ and set to roast. Before roasting, an ‘X’ is often first cut into the top of the breadfruit where the stem was removed. This is used to help the steam to go through evenly aiding in the roasting process and also importantly to signal when the breadfruit is ready as the steam will start escaping from this area once it is roasted. When roasted in foil paper it tends to help the heat to penetrate the breadfruit faster thus less time spent to roast it.
2. A total of 30 minutes can be estimated for roasting a large breadfruit. It’s essential that when the breadfruit is being roasted that it turned until all sides have gained darkness but not too much to cause it to burn. Roasting breadfruit is truly a technique that is quite interesting to master.
3. Just like that you have your freshly roasted breadfruit to go with your ital ackee or ackee and saltfish! Dig in!
Breadfruit in Jamaica
In Jamaica breadfruit is most commonly roasted and boiled as earlier mentioned. For you to achieve the beloved fried breadfruit, it must first be roasted and peeled then set to fry until golden brown in color. Absolutely scrumptious!
Throughout the years the love of breadfruit and its nutritional benefits (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, fiber, potassium, and vitamin C) continues to soar. It is also good at relieving constipation, fighting infections, regulating blood sugar levels, and minimizing the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure.
Breadfruit has made its way into new recipes in the Jamaican culture that are quite exciting. Some of these breadfruit dishes include:
– Breadfruit Chips (like banana/plantain chips)
– Breadfruit flour
– Breadfruit Salad (done similar to potato salad)
More Jamaican Recipes
JAMAICAN ACKEE & SALTFISH RECIPELevel EasyTime 35MinSERVES 2 Jamaica's national dish I was lucky enough to stumble upon my new favourite dish on my very first morning and was instantly hooked! Ackee is the national fruit of Jamaica and when coupled with saltfish...